Unfortunately I got ill over the holidays. Pains in the right hip and fever, and due to the latter I didn’t feel like posting. I am much better now – back to the creative world so to speak.
I posted this piece without the backround here. I am more and more convinced of the importance of the background, and of the fact that it is not simply something to be filled in in whatever colour might be appropriate, but an entitity with its own structure.
It is Christmas Eve and it is the most important days of the Christmas Holidays here in Germany. Presents will be given tonight, and people will gather round the Christmas tree.
So I wish everyone of you who follow this blog a Merry Christmas! Enjoy the holidays together with your family and you dear ones.
Feliz navidad y un prospero ano!
I wanted to blend the various shades of red I’ve got: dark red, cadmium red medium, scarlet red dark cadmium orange. I added cadmium yellow, phtaloblue and magenta.
I dipped the paper stump ever so gently into the oil, trying not to get too much oil on the paper. As far as I can see the oil didn’t mess up the paper (I used drawing cardboard with 190g)
Blending with baby oil has a different effect compared with blending with markers. Some people say that it makes coloured pencils look like markers, but I don’t agree with that. There is still a difference!
I had watched a video on YouTube about using babyoil as a kind of solvent, and also read some threads on Wet Canvas about the same matter. I’d also read – on the website of Faber Castell – that they recommended baby oil as solvent.
So I went to a drugstore on my way home from work and bought a bottle of baby oil, eager to experiment. I used a paper stump to apply the oil to the pigments, and you can see the result of it in the picture above. I am surprised about the intensity of the colour, and will keep on experimenting.
Here the challenge consisted in the fact that the reference tutorial was for watercolour painters, and I somehow had to transfer this tutorial to the world of coloured pencils. So it actually looks a bit different than the watercolour piece. However it was not my intention to produce a copy. I was interested in the colour combination of orange and brown, and I wanted to create grass in various shades of green.
I had bought some curve templates and played around with them, first in my sketchpad and then I drew the final version on drawing cardboard. The first thought I had was movement, and the second the use of colours.
Drawing cardboard is very smooth; nevertheless coloured pencils leave tiny white specks. So I went over them with markers. And in the end I went in again with my coloured pencils and worked out the textures.
The funny thing is: I didn’t follow any plan, and in the end I was looking at the finished drawing and began to discover a strange being with one eye…