Black Swan

Some days ago I’d done a very quick swan sketch which I wanted to use for a painting. So I cleared up the lines on a piece of tracing paper, went over the lines with a 6b pencil and transfered the drawing to a sheet of Acrylic paper.

The painting was done with some cheap acrylic paints (blue, black, and vermillion) and Cadmium Orange Hue from Schmincke.


This piece of watercolour paper was left over, and I thought I’d use it for some colour experiments – how many different colour tints can you get when mixing violet with white? I used Schmincke College Violet with an unknown white which I got in a one Euro shop. I was quite surprised how creamy the Violet was – I just dipped my brush into the water and then applied the paint with my brush. Although the Schmincke College brand is the least expensive of the Schmincke paints it is richly pigmented – and the pigments are given on the tube. In comparison the no-name acrylic paints you can get in the 1 Euro shop have far less pigments and are more watery.


Warrior. Acrylics on Watercolour paper.

Some days ago I saw a very impressive video about bodypainting which inspired me to do this Acrylic painting. When I did this I also thought about the painted faces of native people РRed Indians as well as African people. I also have to admit that I was not in the best of moods when I painted this РI was quite angry about something and this seemed to have expressed itself in the colours black and red.

Fantasy Butterfly

Of course this is no real butterfly – just a fantasy butterfly. I did the drawing of it quite some time ago, and thought it would be nice to paint it. Instead of using my window as a kind of light box I used tracing paper. You first trace the drawing with a hard pencil, then you take the back of it and go over the lines with a very soft pencil. Then you turn it round again, put the tracing paper of your final support (I used watercolour paper) and go over the lines again, this time again with a hard pencil or a ballpoint pen. The lines you will get on the “real” paper will be very light and easy to erase; but they serve very well as orientation for painting.

I used two reds – crimson and vermilion; besides that black for the marks on the wings and sap green for the background.

Blue Houses #2

These are some blue houses I did with the neocolorII watersoluble wax crayons and some alcohol based marker on watercolour paper. There’s a noticeable difference between that painting and the acrylic ones.- these are for more translucent. Here is a painting I did with acrylics – it also shows some buildings.


Leaves and berries. Acrylics on acrylic paper. September 2015

It is late summer now – or early autumn, depending on how you see it. The trees still have their leaves, but on days with a sharp wind they are slowly loosing them, and when they lie on the ground you notice that the green has changed, and little spots of brown are added to it.

I must admit that I am fascinated by the variety of shapes and colours of the leaves, and this fascination was one reason which made me paint this piece. The other reason was more technical: which greens would I get when mixing green with yellow ochre, and which red would I get when I mix crimson with burnt umber? And how would I get along with a small round brush?

I found some answers to my questions, and all in all I am quite satisfied with the painting. The longer I paint with acrylics the more I capture myself looking at long lists of acrylic paint tubes, asking myself whether I should buy a cadmium red or a hooker’s green or … fun, fun, Fun!

The Hunter

The Hunter. Acrylics on Watercolour paper.

In the beginning there were triangles and the decision to mix ultramarin and white, in order to get several shades of blue. I had this yellow-orange underpainting, and I found out that it was almost impossible to cover that with ultramarine. Then I remembered that you should put on white first, and then the colour of your choice. I did that and it worked a lot better. More and more the triangles changed into something like a flying bat, and I gave it a white beard, a snout and two blue eyes.

I not only wanted to practise colour mixing but also working with a small round brush. I felt that I had far better control of it than when I tried acrylics for the first time!


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,009 other followers