Wood in the Water. Oil pastels diluted with baby oil on watercolour paper.
Some days ago I dediced to get an annual subscription for artistnetwork.tv. Actually it was on the last day before my vacation began, and I thought that I should give myself a present. I browsed through the catalogue and found out that they had videos on abstract art. I began to watch one and felt inspired to give myself and my oil pastels a try.
But I must admit that I didn’t like the crumbles you get (okay, that depends on the quality of the oil pastels, I know) and so I was looking for ways to get rid of them. I learnt that you can thin oil pastels with turpentine. I knew that baby oil serves as a thinner for coloured pencils, and I’d already done that with my polychromos which are oil-based. So I was very curious whether and how thinning would work with oil pastels and baby oil. You can see the result above. In reality the painting is a bit more on the greenish side; due to my scanner it’s got a more blueish touch.
However all in all I’m quite satisfied, and in addition to that it was so much fun to work with the paints!
Colourful stones. NeocoloursII and markers.
This time I focussed on using red/orange, violet/pink and blue, and mixing them on the paper. Those neocolours don’t every really dry – which means, that you can mix them on the paper when you rewet them. I painted the stones in the circle by first making the marks on the paper with the dry crayons and then wetting them with a brush. You can see that you can get many interesting structures when you do it this way. The yellow in the middle was put on with a brush, taking the pigment from the tip of the crayon.
Another painting done with the NeocoloursII watersoluble wax crayons, or, precisely speaking, with their shavings which I diluted with a drop of water. I mixed my reds with yellow, getting various shades of red, my greens with blue, thus getting various hues of blue, and also my blues with red, thus getting some nice deep purples.
This is another painting done with neocoloursII craysons, gouache and markers. I used the shavings off the crayons for this piece – mostly emerald green and malachite green, mixed with the green gouache paint which was still on my palette. And some blue shavings as well, of course.
In this painting I combined gouache paints, NeocolorIIs and markers. I didn’t use the neocolorIIs as crayons, but took the pigment from the tip of the crayon with a brush. In the end I added the veins of the leaves with strokes of a white neocolourII crayon and did the background with markers. I also used some of the shavings of the neocolourII watersoluble crayons for the leaf in the top right corner.