As I am focussing on drawing with markers at the moment I also browse through the hundreds of YouTube Video tutorials. I discovered this one which I find very, very helpful. Not only because it shows how to paint/ draw a baby giraffe (I love to paint animals!), but also because it describes the process of laying down one colour after the other. Enjoy!
I returned to coloured pencils and markers, a combination I favoured some time ago. The figure in the foreground which is supposed to be a running bird, has been painted with markers, using all the shades of red I have at the moment. For the background however I used all the green coloured pencils I have, adding a bit of blue and a bit of brown at some places. Then I used markers again – an yellow green one, a light green one mostly to to over the layer made by the pencils.
This had two effect:
- the pigments of the pencils were solved and blended because of the alcohol ink.
- the colour of the pencils changed a bit, adding a bit of yellow or a lighter touch.
One morning I did this quick doodle, and the other morning I thought I could use this to display all my red hues. I mostly used Delta Markers, and some Copic ciaos. Delta Markers are produced by the German company Rotbart, and I think they only sell in Germany. They are the cheapest brand, with a rather limited colour range.
I am now working on a piece which is based on this doodle, getting back to the mixture of coloured pencils and markers I focussed on some time ago. As painting with coloured pencils takes its time I don’t know when I’ll be able to show the finished piece. I’ll keep you posted!
This is the result of two quick doodles at the breakfast table. Just now I am writing my first longer story in German, planning to publish it together with some illustrations. I got the first rough version written down. Now I’ve got to go over the story again, polishing it. In a second step I will decide which illustration I would want to insert at which place, and then focus on the illustrations. Writing a story and illustrating it – that’s something I dreamt of a long time ago, but never thought it would be possible. The project still frightens me – but I also enjoy it deeply.
I also plan to publish an English version of the illustrated story. But you will understand that it’s only natural that I am focussing on the German version. There will be another art event in July (the same one as last year), and I intend to show some copies of my story there.
With the focus on this project I however allow myself to so some doodling, as I did with the piece you can see above. Playing with shapes and colours, nothing more.
This is the result of my playing around with a ballpoint pen early in the morning at the breakfast table. It seems that just now I am into fantasy beings – first the grumpy plant (you can have a look at it here), and then this one which is a crossbreed between a fish and a dragon (look at his head!) and a seal and whatever you can see in it. He (Yes, definitely it is a “he”) looks as he is courting another being which we don’t see. One day I might write a story about him…
I must admit this painting is a bit weird. The more I was colouring the drawing in Photoshop the more I saw a rather fierce or grumpy looking flower in my mind. And I wanted to create a bit of contrast by adding all the colourful little butterflies. Of course that’s what I see – you might see something totally different!
This elephant sketch is very, very old. I think I did it about 4 years ago. This time I made a colour swatch on the layer which I used for colouring. I selected a middle grey, then two darker ones and two lighter ones and put the colours down beside each other with a round hard brush. Of course I wiped out this colour swatch before uploading the painting/drawing.
This time I wanted to try something monochrome. and I went for shades of green which I would identify as “sick” colours. Either this plant is having a certain sickness, or it lives in surroundings which are definitely not good for plants. In either way this poor being is suffering.
Technically speaking I played with applying the gaussian blur filter in certain selections.
Mind you, this is meant to be nothing more than a quick sketch, an exercise for working with monochrome colours, of trying to produce a certain mood by applying those colours.
I did this a very long time ago (two years or so, I think). I’d coloured it with copics then, but still kept the lineart. As I am deep into colouring with Photoshop at the moment I thought why not do it again, this time with a diffeerent colour combination. It still is lacking the final touches.